On Monday next week we have our one and only Council meeting for this month. Nothing is up for a public hearing, but there is plenty of legislation on the agenda for second (final) reader. Please let me know if you have thoughts on any of them.
Town Hall meeting Tuesday Dec 12th 7:30-8:30pm
This will be a short meeting, given that I could only book the library for an hour. I’ll schedule a longer one for later this winter or spring, depending on demand/requests. Since it will be shorter, I’ll limit myself to 20 or 30 minutes to give you a few updates and then open the floor to Q&A.
Public meeting on proposal for Taco Bell at Bay Ridge Giant shopping center – Dec 19th 6pm at library.
A developer is proposing to construct a Taco Bell with a drive-thru at the corner of the Bay Ridge Giant shopping Center at Bay Ridge Rd and Edgewood Rd. The meeting will be on December 19th at 6pm at the Eastport-Annapolis Neck library. I personally have concerns about adding yet another drivethru to this area, due to the traffic and the auto-centric nature of such development. We are trying to move to more mixed use (i.e. walkable/bikeable shops and housing), and utilize more of that lot for some actual stormwater management (they have none) or for a mobility/transit hub. Allowing for this suburban sprawl will do nothing to help us get to that point and will instead make us like every other chain-store USA suburban street. I don’t know about you, but I have higher hopes for Ward 7.
If you would like to learn more about our work study delegation trip to the Netherlands, you can view our presentation here (Youtube).
Lastly, we have two more Midnight Madness events left! Hope to see you at one of them (Thursday nights).
Stay healthy and stay safe,
Next Council meeting – 12/11/23 (agenda)
This Council meeting is starting at 7pm and will be televised on local cable, YouTube, Facebook, and the City website. You can submit public testimony at http://www.annapolis.gov/testimony. This will be an in-person meeting.
There is no legislation up for a public hearing.
Legislation being introduced on first reader
- O-36-23 - Annapolis Harbor Lines for 3 President Point Drive on Spa Creek- For the purpose of changing the Annapolis harbor line on Spa Creek for President Point Condominium at 3 President Point Drive; and generally related to harbor lines and setbacks.
- R-59-23 - Delegation of Authority for Administrating Elections - For the purpose of authorizing the City of Annapolis to contract with the Anne Arundel County Board of Elections to administer the City of Annapolis Municipal Primary and General Elections in 2025.
- R-61-23 - Budget Process Timeline for Fiscal Year 2025 - For the purpose of approving a timeline for the Fiscal Year 2025 budget development and approval process.
Legislation on second reader (i.e. final vote)
- O-22-23 - Business License, Taxes and Regulation - Creation of Art Establishment Beer and Wine License - For the purpose of creating a City of Annapolis beer and wine license for specific art venues as authorized by MD. Alcoholic Beverages Code ? 10-1002 per House Bill 353 and Senate Bill 472, signed by Governor Wes Moore on May 3, 2023; and generally related to the Alcoholic Beverages chapter of the City Code. I’m inclined to support this underlying legislation and the amendment proposed by Alderwoman Tierney, pending any comments or concerns from you.
- R-38-23 - FY 2024 Annual Fees Schedule - Art Establishment Liquor License Fee - For the purpose of specifying the fee for the new Art Establishment liquor license. I’m inclined to support, pending any comments or concerns from you.
- O-28-23 - City Noise Prohibitions and Enforcement - For the purpose of updating the Annapolis City Code noise prohibition section by adding a ban on certain noise in residential areas; expanding enforcement; and generally related to noise prohibitions. I will be asking that this be referred back to Committee, as we have a few things to discuss related to this legislation.
- R-51-23 - Fines for Violating Annapolis Noise Restrictions - For the purpose of increasing the fine for repeat violations of the City of Annapolis noise restrictions; and generally dealing with public peace and order section of the City Code. I will be asking that this be referred back to Committee, as we have a few things to discuss related to this legislation.
- O-25-23 - Exception to Allow Public Kayak Rack Pilot Program - For the purpose of creating a City of Annapolis pilot program to allow a public kayak rack in a street-end city park located on the City's waterfront; changing Title 15 of the City Code to allow the pilot project; and generally dealing with the City's waterfront parks. This legislation will be withdrawn since it is no longer needed. We already approved this program with the related Resolution.
- O-27-23 - City of Annapolis Electrical Code Update - For the purpose of updating the City of Annapolis electrical code to current National Electric Code standards as published by the National Fire Protection Association, 2020 Edition, and the National Electrical Safety Code, 2023 Edition; and generally related to the city's electrical code. I’m inclined to support, pending any concerns from you.
- O-35-23 - Civil Service Board Duties - For the purpose of clarifying and streamlining Civil Service Board duties to those related to holding hearings and deciding appeals regarding issues involving civil service employees. I’m going to await the justification from staff and the report from Committee before determining how I will vote on this.
- R-56-23 - FY 2024 Fines Schedule Update - Abandoned Vehicle - For the purpose of increasing fines for abandoned vehicles in the City of Annapolis, and generally related to Title 12, Vehicles and Traffic. I’m inclined to support this, pending comments from you.
- R-58-23 - Annual Meeting and Tourism Industry Reception - For the purpose of identifying the Annual Meeting and Tourism Industry Reception that will be held on January 23, 2024, as a Special Event and waiving certain City of Annapolis fees for services related to that event. I’m inclined to support this, pending input from you.